[Sca-cooks] Re: grain in milk dishes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Nov 5 17:11:58 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Flame Tamers made of wire or ceramic are widely available in the U.S.  The
easiest flame tamer I
> have ever used was a wire coat hanger, straightened, and then simple
curled into a concentric
> circle.  It sat flat on top of the electric burner element, and allowed a
pot to be held at very
> low heat, because the pot was not in direct contact with the element.  We
used it to keep fresh
> Hollandaise at serving temperature for a holiday dinner party, and it
didn't break :)

> William de Grandfort

Yeah, that would work, but I'm not a big fan of coat hangers in this
application for two reasons- no telling what fumes the coating on them is
giving off, and coat hangers are a bit stiff for your average woman to bend
accurately. But, the spiral design is good too.

There's lots of ways to make one- the variety ranges from dead simple to the
rather expensive high tech kind. No kitchen should be without one ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.