Sauces- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Pillsbury pie crusts

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Nov 6 07:35:19 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > Theophilus'   "On Divers Arts: The Foremost Medieval Treatise on
Painting,
> > Glassmaking, and Metalwork" ,
>
> THIS one sounds fascinating to me. Where did he order them from, if I may
> ask?
>
> Laurensa

Amazon.com. This one, interestingly enough is the least expensive of the
bunch- I had included it because I wanted to make sure he had a cheap way
out after he promised to get me "a book" ;-)

Depending on your interests, Amazon also has copies of Hoover's translation
of "De re Metallica" by Georgius Agricola  and "The Pirotechnia of Vannoccio
Biringuccio: The Classic Sixteenth-Century Treatise on Metals and Metallurgy
by Vannoccio Biringuccio". If you look those books up, their reccomendation
list will also lead you to:

The Craftsman's Handbook: "Il Libro dell' Arte" by Cennino d'Andrea Cennini
Materials and Techniques of Medieval Painting by D. V. Thompson
Medieval and Renaissance Treatises on the Arts of Painting: Original Texts
With English Translations (History of Art) by Mary P. Merrifield

One of the reasons I like Amazon is that the site is so well done- a casual
browse can get right expensive, if you selectively follow their reccs ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.