[Sca-cooks] Theophilus: On Divers Arts

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Nov 6 10:45:46 PST 2004

>>Theophilus'   "On Divers Arts: The Foremost Medieval Treatise on Painting,
>>Glassmaking, and Metalwork" ,
>
>THIS one sounds fascinating to me. Where did he order them from, if I may ask?
>
>Laurensa

It's a book I'm fond of. Theophilus is very good on metal working,
which seems to have been his own craft, judging by the book. He is
interesting but less thorough and expert on the others. It's dated
about 1100.

There is an old version put out by the University of Chicago Press,
and a more recent one from, I think, Dover. I'm not sure if the
latter is a different translation, but I don't think so.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com