[Sca-cooks] Exotic but Tasty?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Nov 6 13:38:42 PST 2004

At 01:07 PM 11/6/2004, you wrote:

> > We have trouble with invasive plants here, but I can't think of any beasts
> > that are a problem, unless you count that rat-like water-dwelling mammal
> > near Corvallis... (Am I gonna catch it for that one! ;-)
> >
>Ah yes the Nutria Rat.

*koff* Er, no. Though we do have problems in Lane county with nutria. I was
thinking of a certain bucktoothed critter with a flat tail... that lives at
OSU...

>  I suspect that is the critter you are referencing.
>This beast is something of a scourge/mix blessing in Louisiana and has
>indeed, by those who should have know better, been introduced on to the
>eastern seaboard with predictable destructive effect on the marsh/estuaries
>of the region.

Some brilliant person brought them out here thinking to raise them for fur
(they do have pretty fur) and fer eatin'. But people won't eat them (IIRC
they're weird tasting from the scummy water they live in). And now you can
hardly walk through Westmoreland Family Housing (UO student families),
which is right on the creek, without stepping in something icky. And they
don't get along with the raccoons either...

Oh those were the days...

'Lainie