[Sca-cooks] Exotic but Tasty?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Nov 6 13:07:34 PST 2004

Was asked:
> Is that the one they've called 'Frankenfish', that can actually get out of
> the water and _walk_ aways to the next stream/lake/pond? They're pretty
> ugly. And they'll eat about anything.

Indeed that is the critter, just didn't remember they could walk like our
"walking" catfish.

> We have trouble with invasive plants here, but I can't think of any beasts
> that are a problem, unless you count that rat-like water-dwelling mammal
> near Corvallis... (Am I gonna catch it for that one! ;-)

Ah yes the Nutria Rat.  I suspect that is the critter you are referencing.
This beast is something of a scourge/mix blessing in Louisiana and has
indeed, by those who should have know better, been introduced on to the
eastern seaboard with predictable destructive effect on the marsh/estuaries
of the region.

Daniel