[Sca-cooks] Mute Swan

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 6 18:25:39 PST 2004

Chass Brown wrote:

> Nay thats the walking catfish... they will colonize and take over a
> fresh water system. Here in Oklahoma the major problem implant
> creature is the stupid bird known as the Starling.. they were brought
> in from Africa to help with mosquito problems.. problem is they will
> run off and kill off your other birds... raid their nests and are a
> bigger pain to nut trees/plants than the blue jay. We have
> competitions here on who can kill the most of them when out and about
> in the woods. The problem with them here is so bad when they take wing
> the sky goes dark.
>
> Chass of Rundel of Ansteorra aka of the SCA aka

Sounds like the kudzu plant here in the southeast.  It was imported from
Japan, I think, with the idea that it would keep banks from eroding,
especially in areas where there is highway construction.  Problem is
that it is a really nasty thing that takes over everything.  There's a
plot of land near us where the kudzu has completely overtaken
everything, including buildings!  All you can see are the occasional
lumps that indicate that there's a tree or building underneath all of
the vines.  It's too bad that no one appears to have gotten the idea of
using the d****** stuff to make flour, etc., like they do in Japan.

Kiri