[Sca-cooks] Yogurt Cheese

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 6 14:22:18 PST 2004

Here is what I have found in the Florilegium:

... try Dill and Chives, a great combination. Thinly sliced Scallions go
well with this as well. I do this all the time. Sprigs of thyme, chopped
oregano, marjoram, etc.. all go well. Try also Garlic and freshly ground
pepper. Try them out at home first.

-------------------------

 From my 'celtic' feast last spring, this would be documentation for
Ireland,
IIRC.  I'm pretty sure it was for fresh cheese with greenery/herbs, it
might
be curds. What I served was fresh, pressed but not aged cheese with chopped
herbs mixed in.

Samit Cheese (Fresh Cheese w/herbs)
Source: Land of Milk and Honey: The Story of Traditional Irish Food and
Drink, Brid Mahon,  Poolbeg Press, Dublin, 1991 :  pp. 4 (archeological
evidence) 55(goat cheese), 91-2 (list of cheese types and names), 109
follow up: Aisling Meic Con Glinne--The Vision of Mac Conglinne, Kuno Meyer
(trans) London, 1892, 5-113

---------------------------

into the sweet range...

Angel's Food

Modern translation by THL Temair Carra

Ingredients:

5 oz fresh Ricotta cheese
5 oz marscapone cheese
2 T sugar
2 T orange flower water (to taste)

Mix cheeses with fork or whisk.  Mix in sugar.  Add a small amount of orange
water and increase if needed (amount will depend on the concentration of the
orange water).  Do not use orange oil.  Fluff before serving.

Bibliography: Libra de Sent sovi (Catalan 1324 or before)