[Sca-cooks] Yogurt Cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 18:59:17 PST 2004

Aoghann asked:
> Is yogurt cheese in period? By which, I mean straining the moisture out
> of yogurt to form a stiff, cheesy spread. If so, what flavorings would
> y'all suggest?
I believe it is period. We've discussed this here before, so you might
want to take a look at these two files in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
cheese-msg       (124K)  3/28/04    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html
fresh-cheeses-msg (43K)  3/28/04    Fresh cheeses such as ricotta,
cream cheese
                                        and cottage cheese. Non-aged
cheeses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fresh-cheeses-msg.html

Here are the rest of the cheese oriented files in that section, just in
case you might want to browse them as well:
Charles-Chees-art (14K)  2/27/02    "Charlemagne's Cheese: a study in
the
                                        un/reliability of sources" by
Tangwystyl
cheese-lnks       (15K) 10/ 1/04    Links to medieval and modern cheese
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
cheese-goo-msg    (32K)  9/ 1/02    Digby's Savory Tosted cheese.
melted cheese.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                        Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesecake-msg    (48K)  3/22/03    Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
cheesemaking-msg  (96K)  7/ 7/03    Comments and info. on cheesemaking.
Recipes.

These are not quite cheese but similar:
clotted-cream-msg (28K) 10/ 4/01    Clotted cream products. Devonshire
cream.
dairy-prod-msg    (80K) 10/ 4/01    Dairy products. milk, butter,
curds, cream.

The latter one is also likely to have some info on period yogurt.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com