[Sca-cooks] cooking with Kasha

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 20:23:30 PST 2004

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Thinking that buckwheat = kasha is erroneous. It doesn't. But because
> of packaging, many in the US believe it to be true. When i talked to
> my Russian boyfriend about "kasha", he wasn't certain what i meant,
> because kasha doesn't mean a specific grain.

Okay.  I thought my previous post had clarified this, but apparently not. So, let me try again:

In the U.S., if you find a box in the supermarket labeled 'Kasha', it will, more likely than not,
contain buckwheat and no other grain.  Even though it is a misnomer, because Kasha is generic for
gruel or porridge, and can be made from any kind of grain, mainstream U.S. manufacturers and
consumers recognize the word 'Kasha' to mean 'buckwheat'.  Therefore, if you purchase 'Kasha' in
almost any U.S. supermarket, it will be buckwheat.

William de Grandfort

> What you are getting in that yellow box is buckwheat that has been
> hulled and roasted. For clarity and linguistic correctness, you're
> better off calling it buckwheat.
>
> Anahita
> a fan of soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles) and crepes from Brittany
> (made with "Saracen wheat", French for "buckwheat"), neither of which
> is kasha nor is it made from kasha

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.