[Sca-cooks] Tasty Exotics- Squirrels and such

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Nov 7 07:14:25 PST 2004

We have some sort of reddish-golden squirrel running rampant through
town that I think is a type of fox squirrel.  They tend to be very
spoiled--people feed them because they're cute.  Wouldn't be much good
for eating--not much more than a mouthful, after you get rid of the tail
and the attitude! They run back-and-forth across the front porch roof
outside my bedroom window (I have a 2nd floor apartment).  I put
unsalted peanuts out on the window ledge for them, because they'll come
and snag them and drive my kitties nuts.  Mack, poor boy, hasn't figured
out in over a year of slamming his little kitty nose against the glass
pane, that he's *not* going to get the rodent on the other side, but he
keeps trying.  Pet t.v., man, I can't recommend it highly enough.  (I
should mention, the squirrels have figured out that they're safe, and
will actually *tease* the cats!)
We have problems with invasive critters here in Montana (things like
pike and zebra snails), but we have a huge problem with exotic plants.
So my contribution to the "tasty exotics" would be...Knapweed.  Which
was imported here to serve as a nectar source for knap honey.  And now
infests every surface it can find, doing great damage to local
ecosystems.  We have similar problems with dyers' woad (which you
probably wouldn't want to eat, but which makes this great blue dye...;o)

Goats are fun to have around, and if you've got the right kind, they
give you lovely fiber for spinning! (kid mohair....ooooh, it's so soft).
  They also give you milk.  We had milk goats when I was younger, but
not goats for fiber.  They were fun, but a hassle for my Dad, because
they had a great fondness for his plum trees.  If I were in a situation
to allow me to have livestock-critters, I think I'd stick to chickens
and fiber bunnies.
Obligatory Period Food Content: I've cooked goat for feasts, too, and
it's tasty.  Islamic recipes, both times, IIRC.  The first time, it was
a stewy thing that involved chunks of meat cooked with meatballs of the
same critter, formed around dates that were stuffed with whole almonds.
  Very tasty and impossible to get off the bottom of the pot (because of
the dates?) The second time, I did marinated chunkage with thyme and
murri and olive oil and such (variation on Elizabeth Cook's redaction, I
think).  I heard it was good--didn't actually get to eat any.

--maire, having tea this morning before she goes to work on Lainie's
Xmas present (bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.....)