[Sca-cooks] Tasty Exotics- Squirrels and such

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:30:19 PST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:05:34 -0600, Joanne Clyde <jmknoppe at hotmail.com> wrote:
> My dear husband is out doing his part to rid the world of those nasty,
> vicious predators known as squirrels. <grin>  He's out tromping through the
> woods with his buddy in search of the "big game squirrel" with his handy 21.
>   Last week he shot 2.  This week, who knows!?
>
> Supposedly, we'll be eating them.  I'm not so sure.  Being raised in the
> suburbs where squirrles are all cute and cuddly, I'm having problems
> adjusting to the change from cute cuddly woodland creature to "evil vicious
> woodland scourge that must be hunted for food..." <Grin>
>
> Anyone have any "good" squirrel recipes? They dont' have to be period...just
> edible.
>
> Geertruyt

http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/dinner-pies/07/rec0711.html

Squirrel pot-pie is a PA standard that I ate a lot at hunting camp when I
was growing up.  Squirrel is very edible. The recipe there looks close to
what I remember.  Soups or stews are good, I have had "squirrel on a
stick" before too.  Cook the squirrel before using it.

I remember we used to go "varmint shooting" before hunting season
at the cabin my Dad was a member of when I was a kid.  We had to
bring back squirrels to cook for supper that night.  I didn't realize
what they were for till I was told to clean them and put them in the
pot....

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson