[Sca-cooks] Goats

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Nov 7 15:23:56 PST 2004

The Borg wrote:

> Is goat period?

Platina; "On Right Pleasure and Good Health";

"The chapters of the Fourth Book" (Quarti Libri Capitula)

24. On she-goat and kid (24 De capra et haedo)

"The chapters of the Sixth Book" (Sexti Libri Capitula)

25. Kid in garlic (25 Haedus in allio)

"On a spit over a fire turn a whole kid or a quarter, with
bits of lard and cloves of clean garlic stuck all around it.
Moisten frequently, with sprigs of bay or rosemary, with the
seasoning which I will now describe.  With verjuice and rich
sauce, mix two well-beaten egg yolks, two well-pounded cloves
of garlic, a bit of saffron, and a little pepper and put into
a pan.  Then, as I have said, sprinkle it on what is cooking,
and when it is cooked, put in a dish, and pour in part of the
sauce, then sprinkle with finely cut parsley."  .. and ends
with the admonition,  "This dish, well-cooked, ought to be
eaten quickly so it does not get cold."

Obviously not a SCAdian ... he knows nothing about how
the pace of an event can deviate from his expectations.

My hardcover copy of Platina was translated by Mary Ella
Milham -- I purchased my copy from Poison Pen Press
http://www.poisonpenpress.com/
while attending the Guilded Pearl event held at the
Barony of An Dubhaigeainn.

[snip]

> > > *snip*

> > > lol aye, they do like to climb, especially on cars.
> > > And yes they do leave nasty dents and also scratches
> > > ... but if you're not around cars, like out in a
> > > backyard, they're great :)
> > >
> > > Lady Elizabeta of Rundel
> >
> > If the goat dents your cars, eat it.
> >
> > Cadoc

>From Platina; "On Right Pleasure and Good Health"; Book IV,
Chapter 24. On she-goat and kid (24 De capra et haedo)

"Their gnawing is deadly to a tree, and, by licking, they
also make the olive barren, which is why they are
sacrificed to Minerva.

Do not eat the meat of a she-goat or smelly he-goat.  Eat
kid, for nothing else is considered more nourishing among
the domestic animals, for it has little indigestible residue
in it, is easily digested, nourishes well, generates good
blood, balanced between warmth and coolness"

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick