[Sca-cooks] A Weighty Situation...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 18:11:42 PST 2004

--- Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Guys, I keep hearing y'all talk about your weights- this one is a bit too
> round or that one needs to lose weight- and of course various diets people
> are on and the like.
>
> I really wish you'd think about something else. Yes I'm glad to hear that
> some of you have lost weight, and that various diets are working for you,
> but I really wish some of you felt better about yourselves.

I think everyone would echo that sentiment, as a general principle, but there are some health
factors involved in a number of these situations, I believe.  Seriously overweight people have
increased risk factors for ill-health, and dieting to reduce the excess weight is a good idea.

Whether these 'South Beach' or 'Atkins' diets are the way to go, only time will tell.  I,
personally, went on Atkins for about 5 months, and it worked beautifully for me (lost 45 pounds,
and felt FABULOUS).  But, hey... I like beer, so.....

I could stand to lose about 10 pounds, but I am not what you would call 'fat', or seriously
overweight.  I'm a 'big boy' (6' 4", 260 pounds), but I do have a defective heart valve, which
always keeps my weight in the front of my mind... if I start pushing maximum density, I cut back
on the ol' Guinness and Newcastle for a few weeks, and there we go.

The point, I guess, is that, for the most part, you are right.  People should feel good about
themselves, no matter what they look like.  However, if there is a wellness issue involved, then
yes... be concerned about your weight.  And, generally speaking, there is usually a wellness
factor for overweight people.  So, there's that, then...

Just don't stop drinking beer!!!!  If everyone did that, then I would be the only one left, and
I'd feel a little silly :)

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.