Soda bread (was Re: [Sca-cooks] restricted ingredients

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 8 05:07:07 PST 2004

You may not need more baking soda, but you do need to add an acid. What
makes soda bread rise is the reaction between the baking soda (base) and the
buttermilk (acid). So if you are substituting a non-acid liquid, you need to
tinker with the balance of base to acid. (Yes, I've been watching Alton!) It
doesn't take much acid, either -- when I was a kid, I used to make a banana
bread recipe that called for buttermilk. Since we never had buttermilk (we
didn't normally use it, and if we had some for some exotic (!) recipe, my
mom immediately drank what was left) I would mix a little bit of lemon juice
with regular milk.

Cynara