[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 11:29:25 PST 2004

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> Ok, so I'm putting together my menu and trying
> to keep the 'wierd foods'
> to a minimum; it should be all good home
> cooking with a few adventures--
> my target audience are PA German, Italian, and
> Irish/Scottish/Welsh in
> ethnic food background.  So, to help me think,
> I've been brainstorming
> lists of what is and isn't wierd. I'd love to
> get people to add their
> comments and also their experiences:
>
> I'm pretty sure that the following are
> definitely 'not wierd' to
> feastgoers:
> - rice

Rice in the "not wierd" list, but blancmange is?
Why would a chicken and rice dish be considered
odd?  Or were you thinking about the white
geletin, not period, dessert dish?

> - beef rolls

Roladen would be very appropriate for a
landsknecht dinner.  While I haven't [yet] found
a period recipe for it in German, it is very
similar to Olives of Beef [or one the various
other spellings of this dish] in the English
corpus.  I can make them in my sleep.  They
also do well in a crockpot.

> - meatballs

Kläpse would be appropriate for an landsknecht
dinner.

> I'm thinking that our SCA feast audience
> probably is ok with

> - seafood plain with a sauce on the side

How about Rollmops?

> - pickled vegetables

Very German, especially Saurkraut.  Although I
have noticed that the average American likes
the milder red cabbage version more than the
stronger green cabbage version.

> Some things I think they might consider odd:
> - pea or lentil dishes

Really?  With all the pea and lentil soups
available from Campbells and Progresso, would
they really consider these odd?

> - green pies

If you are talking spinach pies, these are also
available in your grocery store in the frozen
food section under the term "Florentine".  Would
the average mundane person consider these odd?

> - carrot/cheese pie

I have never had this but I wouldn't consider it
odd at all.  Please give me your recipe?

> - blancmange

See above.

Huette

=====