[Sca-cooks] Drinks at feasts (was: what's wierd-ish, what isn't)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 13:31:09 PST 2004

One of our local brewers had purchased a tap
system so he could easily serve his beers.
This was long before the BoD ruling.  Since
the site was dry, I asked him to make up
root beer and ginger beer and told everyone
that we were serving non-alcoholic beer.
While root beer is not period, I have found
a period recipe for ginger beer, which is
actually a ginger-flavoured beer, rather than
the soda we call ginger beer today. Since up
until that banquet, tea and lemonade and coffee
were the only drinks served, I felt that it
was as appropriate, if not more so, than the
tlc combination.  It wasn't until Cariadoc
moved to Caid that sekanjabin was introduced.
When he makes it, I will drink it.  I have
had some very awful versions of it since
he left Caid.  I don't think I have ever
served sekanjabin since then, nor do I drink
it anymore.

Huette

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
wrote:

> William de Grandfort wrote:
>
> >Certainly, of all the items you mentioned,
> Sekanjabin is the one
> >which I would pick to toss out.
> >Not only is it a revolting beverage, but it is
> so over-used in the
> >SCA as to be 'mundane'.
> >Personal opinion.
>
> The question then becomes, what do you serve
> for people to drink at
> feasts? As someone else indicated, at least it
> isn't iced tea, which
> as far as I can tell was never been served to
> anyone in our period;
> sekanjabin and the other syrup drinks are at
> least reasonably
> appropriate for Islamic personas. What we
> should be serving for
> European feasts is pretty clearly wine, beer,
> mead, etc.; the problem
> with these is that we run into mundane
> constraints, including; (1)
> people often have to drive home after the
> feast; and (2) sites often
> don't allow alcohol; and (3) the SCA alcohol
> policy won't let you
> spend SCA money on them. At my last feast I
> compromised by serving
> small mead I had made myself from one of
> Digby's recipes, and
> donating it, which isn't horribly expensive,
> along with water and
> sekanjabin.
>
> How do other people handle this?
>
> Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook