[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 13:58:06 PST 2004

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure that the following are
> > > definitely 'not wierd' to
> > > feastgoers:
> > > - rice
> >
> > Rice in the "not wierd" list, but blancmange
> is?
> > Why would a chicken and rice dish be
> considered
> > odd?
>
> *grin* you're right. White dish of chicken and
> rice _isn't_ odd. There
> you see the oddity of having grown up in a
> non-chicken-eating household,
> I forget dishes like that.

Ah.  Now I see.

> > > - meatballs
> >
> > Klapse would be appropriate for an
> landsknecht
> > dinner.
>
> Though, admittedly, if I was going to process
> meat, I'd do sausages. My
> local group loves sausages.

Sausages are good.  Weisswurst or bratwurst
usually are well received.

Two years ago I did a mundane feast of German
food for my church.  The klapse went over very
well and wasn't very difficult to make.  It was
for 150 people with the klapse being the only
meat.

> > > - seafood plain with a sauce on the side
> > How about Rollmops?
>
> Is that the herring dish? Herring might be a
> bit too unusual for them...
> crustaceans, white fish and/or salmon are
> probably the most usual. My
> group will tolerate the inclusion of
> non-crustacean fish when I serve
> it, but going with a fishy fish is more than I
> feel up to.

I guess my love of herring has gotten the better
of my judgment.  Although you did say that
some of your potential dinners had a Penn.
Dutch background.  I have seen recipes for
rollmops in Penn. Dutch cookbooks.  Oh well ...
Hmmm.  A pickled herring sandwich on pumpernickle
bread ... yummmm!!!

> > > - green pies
> > If you are talking spinach pies, these are
> also
> > available in your grocery store in the frozen
> > food section under the term "Florentine".
> Would
> > the average mundane person consider these
> odd?
>
> I don't know. There's something about bright
> green food that spooks some
> people.

True.  I know of several people who have
green vegetable aversions.  And the same time,
I know that Nancy's quiche florentine is a
very good seller in the grocery stores and it
is very green.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.