[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Nov 11 08:27:43 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise

> > > Rice in the "not wierd" list, but blancmange is?
> > > Why would a chicken and rice dish be considered odd?
> >
> > *grin* you're right. White dish of chicken and rice
> > _isn't_ odd. There you see the oddity of having grown
> > up in a non-chicken-eating household, I forget dishes
> > like that.
>
> Ah.  Now I see.

> > > Klapse would be appropriate for an landsknecht dinner.
> >
> > Though, admittedly, if I was going to process meat, I'd
> > do sausages. Mylocal group loves sausages.
>
> Sausages are good.  Weisswurst or bratwurst usually are
> well received.

[snip]

> > > How about Rollmops?
> >
> > Is that the herring dish? Herring might be a bit too
> > unusual for them...
> > crustaceans, white fish and/or salmon are probably the
> > most usual. My group will tolerate the inclusion of
> > non-crustacean fish when I serve it, but going with a
> > fishy fish is more than Ifeel up to.
>
> I guess my love of herring has gotten the better of my
> judgment.  Although you did say that some of your potential
> dinners had a Penn. Dutch background.  I have seen recipes
> for rollmops in Penn. Dutch cookbooks.  Oh well ...
>
> Hmmm.  A pickled herring sandwich on pumpernickle
> bread ... yummmm!!!

> > > If you are talking spinach pies, these are also available
> > > in your grocery store in the frozen food section under
> > > the term "Florentine".

Not sure that is right.

> > > Would the average mundane person consider these odd?

Difficult to say ... after all, we know so little about
muggles.

> > I don't know. There's something about bright green food
> > that spooks some people.
>
> True.  I know of several people who have green vegetable
> aversions.  And the same time, I know that Nancy's quiche
> florentine is a very good seller in the grocery stores and
> it is very green.

This brings up a great truth ...

	People will accept your idea if you say,
	"Ben Franklin said it first."

> Huette

On the weird side, I find uni to sit comfortably in that
category.  OTOH, others won't touch eel.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

After some coffee, some breakfast, some cofee ... I'll think
... more thoughts.  By golly, thats it!  I'll think!

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick