[Sca-cooks] Different flours, was Cookie Exchange

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 9 18:39:43 PST 2004

The term glutinous rice does not mean that the rice contains gluten.  It
means that the rice is gluey or glue-like, in other words, sticky.  This is
usually because of high level starch in the grain.

Glutenous means that the subject has gluten proteins and under the proper
conditions will form strands of gluten.

For baking bread, gluten is fine, the higher the percentage of gluten the
better.  For baking cookies or cakes, the less gluten the better, because
the strands of gluten will make the final product tough.  This is why bakers
choose hard flours for bread and soft flours for pastries.

Bear