[Sca-cooks] Re: Different flours, was Cookie Exchange

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 9 18:44:56 PST 2004

Actually, if you overknead the dough, the gluten begins to break down making
the dough less able to retain carbon dioxide which in turn makes the loaves
denser.

Bear

>       There will probably be about 50 other folks jumping in, but at the
risk of duplicating, I don't believe that rice flour has any gluten in it;
gluten being the substance that makes kneaded wheat doughs "springy" and
elastic.  It acts as a binder to give wheat baked products their coherence
(and, if overkneaded, toughness, since the strength of the gluten increases
the more it's "worked").  I believe rye has gluten too, but I don't think
corn or barley do.