[Sca-cooks] OT- Northern Lights in period?

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Nov 9 23:49:09 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Johnnae llyn Lewis mentioned:

> > I'm very busy in another part of Pentamere, south and east
> > of Helena but still in Michigan. [But no northern lights
> > here last night.

> Yes, there was a photo in my paper today showing the Northern
> Lights in Kansas. Kansas???!
>
> Hmmm. This is OT for this group, but does anyone know if we
> have any period writings or legends that mention the Northern
> Lights?

The Northern Lights are also known as the "Aurora Borealis".

> Perhaps at least from the Norse?

(based on web search) "Bullfinch's Mythology" has references

This site associates the Valkyries with the "Aurora Borealis".
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chartreuse/AvatarsOfTheGoddess/Norse.htm

Quoting from "The Northern Route", ...
The word "Nordrljos", or the northern lights, is mentioned for
the first time in the Norwegian Kongespeilet (c. 1250).
It's author had heard about the northern lights from fellow
countrymen who went to Greenland. ... In Nordic mythology, the
celestial bridge, "Bifrost", is mentioned as the link between
not only Earth and the home of the gods but between life and
death, as well. Such a notion may have been prompted by the
northern lights."
http://www.ub.uit.no/northernlights/eng/northlight.htm

This site also links the Aurora Borealis to the bridge Bitfrost,
http://www.freyja.com/Asatruabok/hallDetail.cfm?as=Heimdall&hl=Bifrost

I am noticing sites marked "Asatru" ... What does that mean?

> What did they say they were?

Valkyries' armor, the celestial bridge, "Bifrost"; in addition,
Bifrost translates to "Wavering Tumult or Chaos."

> Stefan

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick