[Sca-cooks] time of year/what to serve?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 10 05:52:16 PST 2004

> Jadwiga asked:
> >Ok guys, I'm working on a feast bid for June 2005. The event theme is
> >Landsknecht, and I'm thinking of taking food from a variety of
> >cookbooks, rather than concentrating on one particular time/place. The
> >part that really determines what I'll be cooking is the time of year--
> >want to go with what is in season.
> I think you are going to have to pick a time of year, first.

Just to clarify-- the bid goes in this month, the event is in June. I'm
competing with someone who historically has had first dibs on any feast
in my group, so I want to impress the autocrats. :)

> When you say you wish to work with foods "in season" are you speaking
> about foods that are "in season" for where your events are held? Or for
> what was in season for a particular spot in Europe?

Foods that are 'in season' for late spring/early summer both in Europe
and in our locale (Northeastern Pennsylvania).

> There is this file in the Florilegium which talks about food seasons in
> a general way and has a listing of when some particular foods were in
> season:
> food-seasons-msg  (16K) 12/26/02    When various foods were in season.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-seasons-msg.html

Thanks, Stefan.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still remains."