[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Wed Nov 10 06:21:18 PST 2004

At 04:10 PM 11/10/04, 'Lainie wrote:
>Ham/turkey with cranberry sauce? Canadian bacon and Pineapple? Mincemeat?
Ah, but remember we're in South Africa.  This weird American/Canadian
business of bacon with maple syrup or other sweet sauces is unknown
anywhere outside pizza.  Cranberry sauce not big either, and mincemeat
entirely fruit-based, no meat.  And the apparent concensus was that the
really weird thing was to find the combination lurking under an innocent
pie crust. As I say, fine in casseroles; not fine in pies.  Go figure.

on the upside, that was everyone's _first_ reaction to medieval food upon
joining the SCA.  They have since been hopelessly indoctrinated into
medieval cuisine, to the point where Chawettys are a Shire favourite
productive of enthusiastic cries of delight when I bring them out.  People
_can_ change... ;>

JdH

Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
There is only one rule in the SCA: "Thou shalt not be tacky". All the rest
is commentary. (Barak Raz, Silverwing's Laws 1).