[Sca-cooks] NOT OT- Northern Lights in period? + Sunspots

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Nov 10 15:44:52 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>    Johnnae llyn Lewis mentioned:

> > I'm very busy in another part of Pentamere, south and east
> > of Helena but still in Michigan. [But no northern lights
> > here last night.

> Yes, there was a photo in my paper today showing the
> Northern Lights in Kansas. Kansas???!
>
> Hmmm. This is OT for this group, but does anyone know if
> we have any period writings or legends that mention the
> Northern Lights? Perhaps at least from the Norse? What
> did they say they were?

> Stefan

I covered some of this WRT Northern Lights earlier today.

Here is an additional instance of scientific observation
during our period of study -- Sunspots.

IMO, this is on topic for this group.  The voice of history
is speaking to us about variability in sunspot activity
causing strong variations in weather -- both warming and
cooling periods as well as wet or dry periods.

Why would we be interested? -- Major weather changes force
changes in agriculture; agricultural output; force changes
in clothing; ... those would also lead to socio-political
changes if not outright upheaval.

In addition to what Olaf mentioned ...

(1) Sunspots were observed ca. 2300 years B.P.

(2) Sunspot activity has several cycles of varying duration.
One of these is the 11 year cycle (22 year period) of
increases or decreases in Sunspot activity.

(3) Medieval maximum of 1000-1300 which led to overall
warming; Eric the Red's discovery and colonization of
Greenland supports this inference.

(3) the Sporer minimum of 1400-1510 coincided with a "little
ice age"; reduced in Sunspot activity; time of abnormally
cold weather; ended the Greenland colonies;  increased rates
of famine in the world; the Baltic sea froze solid in the
winter of 1422-23

(4) the Maunder minimum 1645-1715 generally the same effects
as the Sporer minimum Alpine glaciers advanced south; North
sea froze; London had a year without a summer -- cold for 21
consecutive months; New England in the early 1700's also had
a year without a summer; also had snowfall in June or July.

(5) Little Ice Age sunspot minima correlate with Positive
carbon-14 anomalies

(6) The second URL ("Solar Variability") has charts of
temperature change in the Little Ice Age; the Medieval Warm
Period (including the "Wet MWP" in the Southwest and the
"Dry MWP" in the Sierra Nevada) as well as a table showing
sunspot minima, historic period, carbon-14 anomalies,
Beryllium-10 anomalies, and covering the years 5950 BC
through 1825 AD.

Too bad the authors didn't cite the historical sources that
provided an indication of sunspot activity and variation.

(7) I recall an episode of "Cosmos" (but couldn't find the
reference today, darn!) which mentioned a Renaissance observer
who noted that he saw his first sunspot in 80 years -- his
observation marked the end of one of the Minimums (3, 4
above).  He must have known of the earlier observations from
written journals in order to realize his observation was
remarkable.

(8) Are sunspots and the Northern Lights related?  Probably.
If I look around (tomorrow, that is), I may learn something
else.

(9) For several years, I have wanted some information on
climatic changes in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance --
to compare with fashion changes.  ... and today, I found
some of that data.

Where is the "Happy Dance" choreography when you need it?

(10) The inescapable conclusion to be drawn is that the
"Solar Constant" isn't ...

Maybe Global Warning isn't what we think it is ... maybe
it isn't caused just by increased carbon dioxide.

Please look at the third URL reference for details.

"Effects of Sunspots on Earth"
http://www.cs.usm.maine.edu/~monfort/ast100.htm

"Solar Variability"
http://www.geo.arizona.edu/palynology/geos462/20climsolar.html

New Little Ice Age Instead of Global Warming?
http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/Calen/Landscheidt-1.html

Wow!  Hey Stefan, see what you started this time?

I am,
Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick