[Sca-cooks] Drinks at feasts (was: what's wierd-ish, what isn't)

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 17:05:07 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:12:41 -0800, David Friedman
<ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
> >While sekanjabin may be period for Islamic personas, it really isn't
> >for the majority of Europe throughout most of medieval history.  I
> >personally find it just as out of place as iced tea at feasts with a
> >nothern European menu.
>
> I believe Platina mentions oxymel, which ought to be something
> similar. It might be worth some looking to see if some sort of
> sweet+vinegar+water drink was used in parts of non-islamic Europe in
> our period.
>
> Has anyone experimented with watered wine? My impression is that it
> was the norm through much of classical antiquity, and still common in
> our period, but I haven't really looked into the question. If watered
> enough, it gives a lemonade equivalent--flavored water.
> --
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

I had considered that for the last feast I did, but I couldn't fit it in my
personal budget for that feast and donations were not forthcoming,
then they moved the event to a dry site....I got the idea from
Platina and experimented with a few wines till I found one that would
dillute well and not taste entirely bad.  I think I settled on a cabernet, that
had a good price to taste ratio.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson