[Sca-cooks] Earthapples Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 18, Issue 57

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 08:16:53 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:57:06 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
<jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Did we ever decide if "earthapples" were potatoes or squash?
>
> I'm initially inclined to say that 'earthapples' were potatoes, if only because of the similarity
> between the Dutch 'aardappel', the German 'Erdäpfel' or 'Kartoffel', and the French

there's also a dutch word aardpeer wich literally translated ends up
as earthpear. It's Helianthus tuberosus or  Jerusalem artichoke,
sunchoke, topinanbour  (pick one I guess :))

I have no idea wether this was used in period tho, (don't even know
where it originated from), I only konw it was eaten during WW2 as a
replacement for potatoes.

Finne

Finne