[Sca-cooks] Earthapples Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 18, Issue 57

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:55:45 PST 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:16:53 +0100, Finne Boonen <hennar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:57:06 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
> <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> there's also a dutch word aardpeer wich literally translated ends up
> as earthpear. It's Helianthus tuberosus or  Jerusalem artichoke,
> sunchoke, topinanbour  (pick one I guess :))
>
> I have no idea wether this was used in period tho, (don't even know
> where it originated from), I only konw it was eaten during WW2 as a
> replacement for potatoes.
>
> Finne

Well, if you look at them, it looks like a giant tater tot.  Sunchokes
are a relative of the Sunflower family and are native to the Central
North America..from what I can find online they claim they were
introduced to Europe in the early 1600's.

It's definitely better for you than a potato ;-)

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson