[Sca-cooks] Gunthar Updates

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 16:43:13 PST 2004

Wow!  It kind of makes me wish I lived in
Ansteorra.

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> :Stewd Beef (Short Ribs braised in a broth of
> onion, currants, red wine,
> vinegar
> and spices)
> :Sauge or Hen with Sage Sauce (Roasted chicken
> with a sauce of ginger,
> galingale,
> cloves, red wine vinegar, sage and topped with
> hard boiled egg)

Both these items use red wine vinegar or red
wine and vinegar.  Since you don't say how much
you are using I am making an assumption, do you
really want two sharp tasting dishes in the same
course?

> :A neat bread dish that is a variation on the
> usual Pandemayne where you
> take out
> the middle of rolls, fry that with mushrooms,
> spinach and butter then
> replace the
> crumbs and reheat in the oven.

Sounds interesting.  Where is this from?

> 2nd Course
> :Capon Stewd (Cornish Game Hen, dusted with
> herbs and pressure cooked in
> white
> wine. The juices are strained, mixed with
> sugar, currants and ginger and
> presented as
> the sauce)

You probably know this, but a capon is a
castrated male chicken and tends to be larger
than the average chicken.  On the other hand,
a Cornish Game hen is a modern hybrid created
to replace the now more expensive birds like
pheasant or squab.  And why are you pressure
cooking them?  It isn't a period method and
would take a lot longer to do if you have to
do a lot of small batches.  Wouldn't it be
just as easy, if not more period, to bake or
boil them?

I have been working on adapting the attributedly
period British chicken recipe called "Hindle
Wakes" for the crock pot, using game hens, but I
am having problems with overcooking.  Everything
is coming out well cooked, but usually so falling

off the bone that it makes it difficult to serve.
 When I find the perfect cooking time that gets
them thoroughly cooked but able to be taken out
of the crockpot in one piece, I will post the
recipe to the list.

> Someone, shoot me now.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

Which would you prefer?  Bow and arrow, crossbow,
handgunne, or cannon?  :-)

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.