[Sca-cooks] Gunthar Updates

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Sun Nov 14 10:53:01 PST 2004

My Gawd!!
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I am going to cook in the time allotted me to bring up to my son's house for Thanksgiving....... (and what will transport well, etc) when I come across the menu for Papa Gunther's feast.

Like a cross between Pavlov and a moth to the flame... I am sitting here glazed-eyed and salivating.... tears are coming to my eyes with the wonderfulness of it all.... It sounds absolutely delicious!!!!!  Wish I were able to attend!
Phillipa
  -----

  > :Stewd Beef (Short Ribs braised in a broth of
  > onion, currants, red wine,
  > vinegar
  > and spices)
  > :Sauge or Hen with Sage Sauce (Roasted chicken
  > with a sauce of ginger,
  > galingale,
  > cloves, red wine vinegar, sage and topped with
  > hard boiled egg)

  Both these items use red wine vinegar or red
  wine and vinegar.  Since you don't say how much
  you are using I am making an assumption, do you
  really want two sharp tasting dishes in the same
  course?

  > :A neat bread dish that is a variation on the
  > usual Pandemayne where you
  > take out
  > the middle of rolls, fry that with mushrooms,
  > spinach and butter then
  > replace the
  > crumbs and reheat in the oven.

  Sounds interesting.  Where is this from?

  > 2nd Course
  > :Capon Stewd (Cornish Game Hen, dusted with
  > herbs and pressure cooked in
  > white
  > wine. The juices are strained, mixed with
  > sugar, currants and ginger and
  > presented as
  > the sauce)

  You probably know this, but a capon is a
  castrated male chicken and tends to be larger
  than the average chicken.  On the other hand,
  a Cornish Game hen is a modern hybrid created
  to replace the now more expensive birds like
  pheasant or squab.  And why are you pressure
  cooking them?  It isn't a period method and
  would take a lot longer to do if you have to
  do a lot of small batches.  Wouldn't it be
  just as easy, if not more period, to bake or
  boil them?

  I have been working on adapting the attributedly
  period British chicken recipe called "Hindle
  Wakes" for the crock pot, using game hens, but I
  am having problems with overcooking.  Everything
  is coming out well cooked, but usually so falling

  off the bone that it makes it difficult to serve.
   When I find the perfect cooking time that gets
  them thoroughly cooked but able to be taken out
  of the crockpot in one piece, I will post the
  recipe to the list.

  > Someone, shoot me now.
  >
  > Yers,
  >
  > Gunthar

  Which would you prefer?  Bow and arrow, crossbow,
  handgunne, or cannon?  :-)

  Huette

  =====
  shall never cease to be amused.