[Sca-cooks] New World Foods

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Nov 14 12:39:22 PST 2004

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Vincenzo wonders...
>
> > In addition, the historical record is probably incomplete
> > -- can we say with certainty, when, for example, vanilla
> > appeared in German cuisine?  ... etc.
>
> This is a very good question, and if you read German, it
> may be answered in THE NEW HERBAL OF 1543 by Leonhart
> Fuchs, available in a modern facsimile copy.  I do not
> read German but the index is in Latin species names,
> which helps.  Many of the plants are pictured including
> "Turkish Corn" [maize], capsicum peppers and various
> squashes like pumpkins.
>
> Selene

That sounds like a good reference.

At first, I was thinking of Europe in general ... but
the research needs to be done by cuisine/country.  After
all, that's where we get the recipes.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick