[Sca-cooks] New World Foods

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Nov 14 13:04:25 PST 2004

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> Vincenzo wrote:
> >
> > Ever since I 'discovered' the SCA in the fall of 1996,
> > I have wondered and asked, what is the timeline for
> > the introduction of new world foods into the European
> > cuisine?
> >
> > We should also try to establish the introduction dates
> > in Europe for all non-European foods; herbs; spices.
> >
> > With that timeline, the solution to this sort of
> > question becomes mush easier to implement.
> >
> Well... the project described would make a nice set of
> articles, an interesting CA or even a mundane book.
> I see such as describing, based on anthropological
> research, what were the base foods available in
> pre-Roman Western Europe and then proceeding from there
> forward in time with the consecutive introduction of
> various food items up until 1600.  Some items would
> fall out during certain periods and then possibly
> return later.

I see what you mean and even agree with you about the
utility of such a sweeping reference.  I think we should
focus our initial investigations into 1492 and later.
Then the following work would cover pre Greco-Roman up
through the beginning of the "Age of Exploration"

> Such a project  would establish what was period both in
> time and in place.  If a series of articles I can see it
> divided into obvious subject catagories with some cross
> overs; i.e. fruits and nuts, vegetables, grains, spices
> and herbs, beverages, meats etc.

Understood.  A very good statement of goals/guidelines.
Also a lot of effort.

IMO, if we initially focus (limit) the research to create
an ingredient introduction timeline, we get and use that
list sooner.  We also discover much of what we need to
know for the larger effort.

> Allied with this would be a discussion of the
> introduction of various cooking methods as they applied
> to specific items.

Analogous to my previous comment.

> Daniel

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick