[Sca-cooks] Pomegranite Juice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 14 17:49:56 PST 2004

Maire commented:
> Uhm, you could also make a pomegranite version of sekanjabin syrup,
> using sugar and water and juice.
You don't have to make something up. This is from the following file in
the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
jalabs-msg        (71K)  7/ 3/04    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                        as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint
Drink).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/jalabs-msg.html

> I don't know about wine, but a 13th c. Andalusian cookbook has a
> recipe for a pomegranate drink:
> ---
> Syrup of Pomegranates
>
> Take a ratl of sour pomegranates and another of sweet pomegranates,
> and add their juice to two ratls of sugar, cook all this until it
> takes the consistency of syrup, and keep until needed. Its benefits:
> it is useful for fevers, and cuts the thirst, it benefits bilious
> fevers and lightens the body gently.
> ---
> I presume that this syrup, like others in the chapter, is intended to
> be diluted with hot or cold water when needed. We dilute it with hot
> water to make a nice sweet, hot drink.
>
> David/Cariadoc

Stefan
--------