[Sca-cooks] New World Foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 14 19:39:35 PST 2004

Maire mentioned:
> *droool* Sounds like a lot of work, but what fun!
> All crossreferenced with historical attitudes/beliefs and health
> customs, maybe? So that we could know that X people thought that Y item
> was an aphrodisiac because it was hot in the 2nd degree, or
> whatever....
I think that such a survey is a huge project and the material subject
to frequent changes as more evidence becomes available. I think the
original suggestion here was to define when the foods made it to
Europe. But which Europe? There were and are, a large number of regions
in Europe. Some items showed up in Spain a long time before they showed
up in England or Russia. If you try to treat Europe as a whole, then
you can create quite an argument over just where the boundaries of this
Europe are. Also how much and what kinds of use count as an item being
used as a food.

In the meantime, while this huge project is being planned, much less
carried out, here are a few Florilegium files:
aphrodisiacs-msg  (24K)  2/12/04    Medieval aphrodisiacs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/aphrodisiacs-msg.html
Period-Fruit-art  (60K)  1/13/02    "Fruit of Period Times" by Baron
                                        Akim Yaroslavich.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/Period-Fruit-art.html
fd-New-World-msg  (12K) 11/ 6/03    16th C. food of and from the New
World.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-New-World-msg.html

Stefan
--------