[Sca-cooks] canisoles

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 00:48:34 PST 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:11:04 -0600, Stefan li Rous
<stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Cadoc said the following when asked for medieval dessert recipes:
> I don't have a copy of Platina. And I just did a search in the
> Florilegium for "canisoles" and got no hits. So, could someone please
> post the recipe? Preferably a translation and any redactions they have?
> This sounds like a good item for the various holiday pot lucks coming
> up.
>
> And Cadoc, what do you mean by "spin some hot honey over them"? Are you
> actually spinning something or do you just mean drizzling honey over
> them? And for folks who have done this, does it help to warm the honey
> in a microwave first or do you just drip it out of the bottle?
>
> Thanks,
>     Stefan

I'm pretty sure I posted them to the list, but it was 5 or 6 years ago I
think.

A pound of almonds to a pound of sugar, ground into each other , then
spread over your flattened pie dough and rolled up, cut into 2-3 inch peices
then baked till done.  I used more butter in my pie dough than usual for these.

I believe Platina calls for what Milham translates as "bun" dough for these.
Which is basically a fat, flour and water dough. (Like I said, no book
yet, it is
on order again *sigh* I can't remember who I loaned it to)

By spinning I mean sticking a spoon into hot honey and holding it way
above the food and moving it back and forth so that they get thin traceries
 of honey on them evenly and  not in large drops.  The heated honey is less
viscous and sinks into the dough before cooling.  I used a water bath to heat
the honey in a bowl. I don't heat viscous fluids in the microwave.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson