[Sca-cooks] canisoles

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Nov 16 10:08:41 PST 2004

Cadoc mentioned "canisoles" and Stefan asked:

>I don't have a copy of Platina. And I just did a
>search in the Florilegium for "canisoles" and
>got no hits. So, could someone please post the
>recipe? Preferably a translation and any
>redactions they have? This sounds like a good
>item for the various holiday pot lucks coming up.

I think it is the canisiones recipe he is talking
about; below is our version from the Miscellany.
We haven't done it very often, because it is
similar to the Islamic khushkananaj, which we
like better--it has oil in the pastry and keeps
longer.

Pastry Which They Call Canisiones
  Platina p. 144 (book 8)

When you have rolled out your pastry made of meal
with sugar and rosewater and formed it like a
crust, put into it the same mixture as the one I
said in the section on marzapan [Take almonds
that have soaked in fresh water for a day and
night and when you have cleaned them as carefully
as can be, grind them up, sprinkling them with
fresh water so that they do not make oil. And if
you want the best, add as much finest sugar as
almonds. When all this has been well ground and
dissolved in rosewater...]; this time, it should
be formed like rolls and cooked in the oven as I
said before, with a gentle flame. [end of
original]

pastry:
    2 c flour
    1/4 c sugar
    2 t rosewater + ~10 T water
filling:
3/4 c almonds, soaked
1/2 c sugar
1 t rosewater + 2-3 t water

Mix pastry ingredients and knead to a dry but not
stiff dough. Divide in half, roll each half out
to about 12" across. Coarsely grind the filling
together. Spread thinly onto pastry, leaving 1/2"
margin around the edges, and roll up like a jelly
roll; seal seams tightly to avoid leakage. Bake
40 minutes at 350°. Slice when warm; crumbles
when cool.

This makes two rolls about 12 inches long. Best
when fresh; they dry out by the next day.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook