[Sca-cooks] canisoles

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:50:55 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:08:41 -0800, David Friedman
<ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
> Cadoc mentioned "canisoles" and Stefan asked:
>
> >I don't have a copy of Platina. And I just did a
> >search in the Florilegium for "canisoles" and
> >got no hits. So, could someone please post the
> >recipe? Preferably a translation and any
> >redactions they have? This sounds like a good
> >item for the various holiday pot lucks coming up.
>
> I think it is the canisiones recipe he is talking
> about; below is our version from the Miscellany.
> We haven't done it very often, because it is
> similar to the Islamic khushkananaj, which we
> like better--it has oil in the pastry and keeps
> longer.
>
> Pastry Which They Call Canisiones
>   Platina p. 144 (book 8)
>
> When you have rolled out your pastry made of meal
> with sugar and rosewater and formed it like a
> crust, put into it the same mixture as the one I
> said in the section on marzapan [Take almonds
> that have soaked in fresh water for a day and
> night and when you have cleaned them as carefully
> as can be, grind them up, sprinkling them with
> fresh water so that they do not make oil. And if
> you want the best, add as much finest sugar as
> almonds. When all this has been well ground and
> dissolved in rosewater...]; this time, it should
> be formed like rolls and cooked in the oven as I
> said before, with a gentle flame. [end of
> original]
>
> pastry:
>     2 c flour
>     1/4 c sugar
>     2 t rosewater + ~10 T water
> filling:
> 3/4 c almonds, soaked
> 1/2 c sugar
> 1 t rosewater + 2-3 t water
>
> Mix pastry ingredients and knead to a dry but not
> stiff dough. Divide in half, roll each half out
> to about 12" across. Coarsely grind the filling
> together. Spread thinly onto pastry, leaving 1/2"
> margin around the edges, and roll up like a jelly
> roll; seal seams tightly to avoid leakage. Bake
> 40 minutes at 350°. Slice when warm; crumbles
> when cool.
>
> This makes two rolls about 12 inches long. Best
> when fresh; they dry out by the next day.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Hrm, yeah, that would be it.  I knew I was forgetting things.

I has been eons since I made them.  The recipe doesn't
call for the honey, it was by request of the royalty at the
event that somethings have honey in them.

Thank you Elizabeth.

Cadoc
*grumbles about his book*

                                    - William Gibson