[Sca-cooks] canisoles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 16 21:34:58 PST 2004

Elizabeth answered me with:
> I think it is the canisiones recipe he is talking
> about; below is our version from the Miscellany.
> We haven't done it very often, because it is
> similar to the Islamic khushkananaj, which we
> like better--it has oil in the pastry and keeps
> longer.
Thank you. I did find one brief mention of "canisiones" in the
Florilegium. Mainly you or Cariadoc highlighting that you like the
similar Khushkananaj better. :-) Since I'm not trying to stick to a
particular culture and this is for mundane pot lucks, I think I'll have
to find that recipe as well. Of course I'm also thinking of using
store-bought crust, so the recipe differences between the two may be
mute.

> Pastry Which They Call Canisiones
>    Platina p. 144 (book 8)
>
> ...And if
> you want the best, add as much finest sugar as
> almonds. When all this has been well ground and
> dissolved in rosewater...]; this time, it should
> be formed like rolls and cooked in the oven as I
> said before, with a gentle flame. [end of
> original]
"dissolved" in rosewater? The ground almonds don't actually dissolve do
they?
> Mix pastry ingredients and knead to a dry but not
> stiff dough. Divide in half, roll each half out
> to about 12" across. Coarsely grind the filling
> together. Spread thinly onto pastry, leaving 1/2"
> margin around the edges, and roll up like a jelly
> roll; seal seams tightly to avoid leakage. Bake
> 40 minutes at 350°. Slice when warm; crumbles
> when cool.
You are sealing the horizontal seam to avoid leakage, right? Do the
open ends not cause a problem, then? Or does the 1/2 inch margin solve
that? And if so, wouldn't the same margin at the edge take care of this
so you wouldn't have to seal it?

> This makes two rolls about 12 inches long.
And how large in diameter? I was thinking of something about 1/2 to 1
inch in diameter. But I could also see these as pinwheels, about two or
three inches in diameter and sliced only one inch thick.
> Best when fresh; they dry out by the next day.
I think you may have served this at your Pennsic Enchanted Ground
bardic fires, right? Or the similar recipe.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com