[Sca-cooks] Duck a l'orange - a la Toulouse

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 15 04:18:23 PST 2004

:) 0k Stefan, when I get a free minute I'll try and work up a recipe for
you.
Twice baked refers to the fact that we always roasted the ducks first, let
them cool, and then baked them a second time right before service, allowing
the skin to get crispy.  The first time around involves piercing the duck
skin all over and rubbing it with salt - this helps render much of the fat
out.  The allspice is sprinkled all over and inside the cavity, the oranges
are squeezed over the outside and some inside, mostly the inside juice comes
from the orange halves.
The duck reduction is a stock made from duck parts, reduced, thickened with
a roux (I won't be using a flour roux, may try to do something with another
thickener this time or just go with an au jus consistancy), and then
finished with the liqueur.
Christianna
off to give a review for the Culinary Management final to a bunch of
thick-headed, hormone-ridden teen-agers, wish me luck!

Can you give me a more detailed recipe? ie: one with more explicit
directions for a beginning cook? Are you rinsing the duck inside and
out with the orange juice or holding it in there somehow? Or is the
inside juice just supplied by the orange halves? What is "twice baked"?
The oranges? or the whole thing? And what do you mean by "twice baked"?
How much Gran Marnier? And I assume the duck juice is reduced first and
then the Gran Marnier is added, right?

Thanks,
   Stefan