[Sca-cooks] Pictures of smallish bread oven construction

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Nov 15 11:43:22 PST 2004

Sharon Gordon wrote:

> I am searching for pictures of construction of an oven that
> that could be used to bake several things for a family or a
> small group of camp-mates.

Do you want the oven to look like a period oven?

I found some pictures ... see below.

> And I also recall hearing about one that people made on
> some sort of platform so it could be moved from camping
> event to camping event.  I'd love to know more about that
> if anyone on the list helped build it or has gotten to use
> it.

I even found pictures that indicate this was done in period.

Masonry is quite brittle.  The cement joints and even the
bricks might not travel well.  I suggest that you plan on
building it in place.

I generally use a portable hearth for dutch oven cooking.

> I've found some info on use of the ovens in the
> florilegium in the bread, ovens, and camp-ovens files.

You might even have seen this note,
"Subject: Re: SC - Building ovens"; Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997
BTW, with maturity (and advice), my name has a 'better'
spelling now.  <g>

After writing that message, I have learned more about arch
and dome structures.  I now feel that building a temporary
or portable oven with an arch would be too unstable.
A corbelled structure might be a better choice.

For excellent illustrations and comparisons, please see,
"Masonry Arches"
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/masonryarches.htm

The last link, "Electric Brick Oven", while seemingly not
to our purpose, is a good indication of the layout and
construction of a rectangular oven.

> Sharon
> gordonse at one.net

The 'net graciously yielded up some images on this topic ...

"The Bread Always Rises in the West"
http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/demisun.html
This was the last image I found ... and possibly with
the information you need.

A portable oven. From "Medieval Life Illustrations"
http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/kitchens/kit031.html

"Pre 17th Century Potworks"
http://www2002.stoke.gov.uk/museums/pmag/Nof_website1/local_history_static_exhibitions/potworks/pages/pre_17th_century.htm

"Cardiff & the Vale of Glamorgan - Cosmeston"
http://www.red4.co.uk/gallery/cardiff/cosmeston/breadoven.htm
... Not very portable

"The ancient art of making bricks"
http://www.gomanzanillo.com/features/bricks/

"Electric Brick Oven" Hah!
http://mha-net.org/msb/html/bakeov10.htm
http://mha-net.org/msb/html/bakeov11.htm

I am,
Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick