[Sca-cooks] Re: Pretzels

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Nov 16 08:30:31 PST 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 9:20 AM, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Greetings.  Does anyone have access to Dutch cookery books to see if
> there's a recipe for pretzels there?  _Windmills in My Oven_ (A Book of
> Dutch Baking), while not giving a period recipe, states: "An
> eighteenth-century recipe describes a dough made from flour, egg yolks
> and
> a moderate amount of butter, flavoured with coriander and rese-water,
> shaped into pretzels, baked and dried in the oven to produce a hard
> biscuit."  (p. 119)  The author, Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra, commented that
> Dutch pretzels are much sweeter than pretzels from other countries.

I looked at the recipes in "Wel ende edelike spijse" (available online)
but didn't find anything even close.  You might want to email
Christianne Muusers [info at coquinaria.nl] directly and see if she knows
of a such a recipe - her site [
http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/index.htm ] is a good source for
period Dutch cooking info.