[Sca-cooks] Pretzels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 16 17:25:06 PST 2004

  WdG commented:
> > AFAIK, there are no existing pre-1600 recipes for pretzels.  If your
> recipe
> > calls for flour, water, yeast and salt, it's probably as close as
> you will
> > find.
> >
> > Bear
>
> That was my thinking, as well, but more to the point I was curious to
> know if period pretzels were boiled in malted water.  I'm pretty sure
> they were..it seems like a
> period thing to do... but I was hoping for clarification.
Are you asking if they were boiled in "malted" water? That is with an
M? I'd like hear why you think of that as a period thing to do. What
else was boiled in malted water?

I toured one of the pretzel companies in Pennsylvania several years
ago. I think they claimed to have started in the 17th century with
recipes brought over from the Old World. I seem to remember them
talking about boiling the pretzels in something. I thought lye but I'm
not sure now. I think I would have remembered if it was malted water,
since I would have asked what that was more precisely. That is water
that malted grain has been soaked in? I seem to remember them talking
about two different processes depending upon whether you were making
hard or soft pretzels.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas