New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 23:18:55 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:20:23 -0500, Lonnie Harvel <ldh at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Bill Fisher wrote:
> Would this mean that most breads fall under the category of "food
> fashioned in a period style"?

Technically yes

> It seems like we could have, based on the recipe, ingredients, and
> cooking techniques (manner of preparation):
>
> period food in a period manner
> period food in a later manner
> period style in a period manner
> period style in a later manner
> later food in a period manner
> later food in a later manner
> later style in a period manner
> later style in a later manner
>
> So where is that pesky little line?  From my perspective, it falls after
> the first four, with an occasional justification for the fifth. Though
> fascinated, I am not concerned with preparing feasts in the period
> manner. Mainly because I have yet to have the opportunity to create a
> feast in a period facility. I do, however, prefer to use later
> approximations of those methods. My problem with period style is that I
> am not well versed enough in period recipes and use (in any time or
> place in our period) to be sure that my food is "fashioned in a period
> style." Which is why I read y'alls posts.
>
> For example, I chose to add cinnamon, clove and ginger to my Digby's
> Fine Cakes. Seems period to me, but I don't **know* *for sure.
>
> Aoghann

Basically, and categorically, all food we make is food made in a period
style.  Period folks didn't have gas ranges, food processors, etc, which
I have no doubt changes the food in a distinct manner from how it was
documented.

What I refer to as 'period food" is something we have concrete documentation
of, how it was made, and it was eaten.

Food in a period style, would cover the other areas where you have a period
documented recipe and substitute ingredients or add ingredients that are
not listed or you cannot provide documentation for their addition or
substitution.

Anything else would be, well, just food :-) still good to eat.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson