New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Lonnie Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 16 21:20:23 PST 2004

Bill Fisher wrote:

>Period food is food we have definite
>documentation for that we know they made.  This would be "food fashioned in a period style."
>
>The line is small, but the difference is not.
>
>Cadoc

Would this mean that most breads fall under the category of "food
fashioned in a period style"?

It seems like we could have, based on the recipe, ingredients, and
cooking techniques (manner of preparation):

period food in a period manner
period food in a later manner
period style in a period manner
period style in a later manner
later food in a period manner
later food in a later manner
later style in a period manner
later style in a later manner

So where is that pesky little line?  From my perspective, it falls after
the first four, with an occasional justification for the fifth. Though
fascinated, I am not concerned with preparing feasts in the period
manner. Mainly because I have yet to have the opportunity to create a
feast in a period facility. I do, however, prefer to use later
approximations of those methods. My problem with period style is that I
am not well versed enough in period recipes and use (in any time or
place in our period) to be sure that my food is "fashioned in a period
style." Which is why I read y'alls posts.

For example, I chose to add cinnamon, clove and ginger to my Digby's
Fine Cakes. Seems period to me, but I don't **know* *for sure.

Aoghann