New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 02:09:43 PST 2004

In the past, when I did my Viking banquet, I
used the term "conjecturally period", since
there are no Viking recipes available and
I had to base everything from my research.
What I did was use Renaissance recipes that
seemed to fit what I found in the sagas,
eddas and archeological texts.  Whether
500 years off was better that being 1000
years off is anybody's guess, but I felt
that the Renaissance cooking techniques probably
would be closer to Viking than 20th Century
cooking techniques.

I think that "food fashioned in a period style"
is a very elegant turn of phrase.

Huette

--- Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would not call it period food.  Period food
> is food we have definite
> > documentation
> > for that we know they made.  This would be
> "food fashioned in a period style."
> >
> > The line is small, but the difference is not.
>

> "Food fashioned in a period style".... that
> sounds acceptable.  Certainly more accomodating
> than
> 'non-period', or 'perioid' or the dreaded 'how
> dare you mess with medieval food'.
>
> I like that one.
>
> William de Grandfort
> Norman Invader fashioned in period style
>

> =====
> Every heart to love will come... but like a
> refugee.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.