[Sca-cooks] Quinces

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Nov 17 00:24:22 PST 2004

>Poling about the web for idea for my quince crop I found:
>
>www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/04.5histrecept.htm
>
>Quince cake said to be a 16th century recipe cited to a "ms UB Gent 476.
>
>Good source for period use?
>
>Simon Sinneghe
>Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

Quinces in Paste (Du Fait de Cuisine) is good--there is also a
version of the  recipe in one of the English cookbooks.

There are various late period recipes for quince paste--which I
gather is the original meaning of "marmelade."

There are some meat and quince recipes in the Andalusian cookbook.

The first and third of those are in the Miscellany--no quince paste
recipe there yet. Just do a search for "quince."
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com