[Sca-cooks] Quinces

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Nov 17 07:17:36 PST 2004

On Nov 17, 2004, at 3:24 AM, David Friedman wrote:

>> Poling about the web for idea for my quince crop I found:
>> www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/04.5histrecept.htm
>> Quince cake said to be a 16th century recipe cited to a "ms UB Gent
>> 476.
>> Good source for period use?
>
> Quinces in Paste (Du Fait de Cuisine) is good--there is also a version
> of the  recipe in one of the English cookbooks.
>
> There are various late period recipes for quince paste--which I gather
> is the original meaning of "marmelade."
>
> There are some meat and quince recipes in the Andalusian cookbook.
>
> The first and third of those are in the Miscellany--no quince paste
> recipe there yet. Just do a search for "quince."

Here are some quince recipes... if you have a spare dozen or so, send
'em my way!

68 To make a quince pie. Peel the quinces and cut the core cleanly out
with a knife, fry them in fat. After that stuff the quinces with
currants, sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Afterwards take beef marrow or
finely chopped kidney suet or skimmed fat from some other meat and put
good Malavosia or Reinfal on it, sugar, cinnamon and cloves, however it
seems good to you. The dough for the pie is found in number [sixty
one].
[Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, V. Armstrong (trans.)]

107 To make a quince tart. Take quinces and cook them well and strain
it and put sugar, cinnamon and strong wine thereon. Apple and pear
tarts are made in the same way.
[Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, V. Armstrong (trans.)]

205 How to make quince bread. Take two pratzamer of quinces and boil
them in water so that they lie closely together. And when they are
cooked, take them out, peel them cleanly and thoroughly and pass them
through a hair sieve, until you have a little less than a half pound.
And take two ounces of sugar. The sugar must be refined beforehand. For
each pound of sugar take a quart of water and after that an egg white.
And put the quinces into a large bowl and stir it around with a big
wooden spoon for as long as a soft-boiled egg cooks. And after you have
stirred it well, then put an egg white into it and stir it around as
long as before. And when you have stirred it, then put two spoonfuls of
refined sugar into it and prepare it each time as at the first.
Continue until you have put into it five eggs and the stated amount of
sugar, then take wafers cut into long strips and spread it on them,
however you would have it. And lay them on a board and lay it on the
oven. Be careful that the oven is not too hot. And when it begins to
dry out on top, then put them on a board in back of the oven, until
they have dried out. The sugar must stay in weak heat the entire time,
so that it does not become cold. Then they are ready.
[Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, V. Armstrong (trans.)]

CXXXIII - To make marmalade of quinces good and fantastic. Take the
quinces and peel and put to boil in lots of water and cook until they
are come down; take a basin holed or the grater, and grate very fine
that you take all that is good, and guard that the seeds don't go into
the grated quince. Save for 3 days in the air this grated mix before
you put in the the honey, then for each pound of grated quinces you
want to have 3 pounds of honey. Bring to a good boil together when the
honey is cooked add spices fine and if you want for the mixture, put to
boil a little of sugar, for 3 pounds of quince marmalade you want to
have 6 ounces of sugar in change of spices. When it is cooked tip it
onto a table bathed with fresh water, and make it in the way of sheets
of pasta large and just less than half a finger thick, and make in the
way of wafers and put in a "albarello" (kitchen salt pot, refers to a
specific storage vessel) with spices and with laurel: that it does not
go bad you must boil two hours until it is cooked always stirring. This
quince marmalade you want to cook always well mixed with a flat wooden
stirrer, etc.
[Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco, L. Smithson (trans.)]

TO MAKE QUINCE MARMALADE, take quinces and peel them, then cut in
quarters and take out the eye and the seeds, then cook them in good red
wine and then strain through a strainer: then take honey and boil it
for a long time and skim it, then put your quinces in it and stir
thoroughly, and keep boiling until the honey is reduced by half; then
throw in powdered hippocras, and stir till cold, then divide into
portions and keep it.
[Le Menagier de Paris, J. Hinson (trans.)]

To make rough red marmelade of Quinces. Take Quinces and pare them, cut
them in small peces from the coare, then take as much sugar as the
peces doe waye, and put the Quinces beinge cutt into an erthen pott and
put halfe the sugar that you waied into the pott and as much water as
will couer them, then sett them into an ouen with howsholde breade.
then when they are paked poore them into a postnett or preseruinge pan
and put the rest of the sugar to it, then bruse them with the back of a
spoone, then boyle them with sturringe till it will come cleane from
the bottome of the pan then boxe it.
[Catherine Tolmach's Receipts of Pastery, Confectionary, & cetera.]

Marmalade of Quinces, red. To make red Marmalade of Quinces, take a
pound of Quinces and cut them in half, and take out the cores, and pare
them; then take a pound of Sugar, and a quart of fair water, and put
them all into a pan, and let them boyl with a soft fire, and sometimes
turn and keep them covered with a pewter dish, so that the steam or air
may come a little out: the longer they are in boyling, the better
colour they will have: and when they be soft take a Knife, and cut them
cross upon the top, it will make the syrup go through that they may be
all of the like colour: then set a little of your syrup to cool, and
when it beginneth to be thick, then break your Quinces with a slice or
spoon, so small as you can in the pan, and then strew a little fine
Sugar in your boxes bottom, and so put it up.
[The English Housewife, G. Markham]