[Sca-cooks] Quinces

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 09:41:17 PST 2004

--- Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/17/2004 3:40:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> ddfr at daviddfriedman.com writes:
>
> > There are various late period recipes for quince paste--which I
> > gather is the original meaning of "marmelade."
> >

> I am also dealing with quinces..bought at market.  The recipes for quince
> paste that I have read (late English sources) refer to rolling and "stamping" the
> paste...or rolling it on a mold.  This sounded more like a candy to me.

That would most likely be Cotignac.  Cotignac is a sweetmeat made from quince paste, and according
to some, has been manufactured in Orleans since the time of Joan of Arc (and her image is still
stamped into the paste to this day).  However, the Larrousse Gastronomique sites no evidence of
industrial manufacture before the time of Louis XI.

The Nymphs of Greek legend were said to have offered quince paste to Jupiter when he was a child.
My source indicates that quince paste in antiquity was originally made with honey instead of
sugar.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.