[Sca-cooks] Which ingredients to avoid? [Was: Rue Substitute?]

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 17:12:56 PST 2004

I maintain a large personal herbal (done in periodish binding, calligraphy be it computerized, illustrations, etc.), with all kinds of notes, growing descriptions, uses, etc., for just this reason.  There is no way the average person can remember 'em all.  I have found it to be really helpful, and to strike up inspirational conversations about all sorts of herbal stuff, not just the obvious "no nos."  Do remember in doing period research on herbs to temper it with modern research as there were so many errors in the period herbals, not to mention the misconceptions...

Samrah

"Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:
Greetings,

Do we have a list of the food ingredients that we must
not use?

Such a list should include both those ingredients that we
know (or feel) could evoke safety issues as well as those
which are prohibited by law or regulation.

Here are some ingredients I would not use ...

Rue:

Oil of rue is an abortifacent.

wormwood:

Especially thujone, a terpene found in wormwood,
which was responsible for absinthe's secondary
effects.

St. John's Wort:

An anti depressant ... but you wouldn't want to
give it to someone suffering from bipolar disorder
and induce a manic episode.

Reported to work against the immune suppressant
drug cyclosporin, which resulted in a transplant
being rejected.

... and there are certainly many, many more.

I realize any such list will be controversial.

I am not trying to say that an individual should or should
not make a personal decision to use these for medicinal
effect ...

My point is that we, both as individuals and as a group,
must not give anyone an ingredient that might have an
unexpected medicinal effect.

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
inspired by P. K. Dick