[Sca-cooks] OP - fish question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 18 07:37:43 PST 2004

Also sprach Sandra Kisner:
>>Place the contents of the can in a small heatproof dish, steam a
>>pot of rice, place the dish on top of the rice as it finishes
>>steaming. This assumes you're doing the kind of Chinese rice
>>cookery in which the rice is washed and placed in a pot with enough
>>water to cover by a depth of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, boiled hard
>>until the water is evaporated and the rice just starts to crackle
>>like Rice Krispies, the rice is stirred lightly, then the pot is
>>covered and the heat reduced to bare minimum, where it will steam
>>in its own residual moisture for 20-30 minutes. You'd put the dish
>>of fish on top of it after the boiling, just before you cover the
>>pot.
>
>I must admit I've been doing most of my rice-cooking lately in a
>cooker, but I can handle doing it in a pot as well.  Many thanks!
>
>Sandra

Well, the advantage of using a pot is that you get the crust, which
is valued in one form or another by most rice-eating cultures. I
assume you could steam a small plate of fish in a rice cooker as
well, as long as there isn't so much liquid there's no way to put the
plate inside. I guess when the rice is 20 minutes shy of being done?

Adamantius (never used a rice cooker)

Holt, 07/29/04

"Who cares what you think? ...Wait! Who do write for? Who sent you?
Who do you write for???"
	-- The President of the United States, 07/04/01