[Sca-cooks] Looking for "real" sour cream

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 10:55:09 PST 2004

I have no trouble finding what i think is real sour cream here in
Northern California. Perhaps i don't know what sour cream should
taste like.

My supermarket carries a major commercial California (or maybe only
Northern California) brand - Clover - that has no stabilizers in its
sour cream.

I always read labels and never buy sour cream with stabilizers. I
will confess that it appears they are all cultured. But the brand i
buy is made of cream, milk, and culture only.

I don't buy yogurt that has stabilizers either. I usually buy
Pavel's, a San Francisco brand that is really good, in quality and
flavor. And i only rarely buy yogurt with fruit - Brown Cow brand,
cream on top (i.e., not homogenized) - lemon or mango.

I don't buy yogurt or sour cream with stabilizers - no gelatin, no
guar gum, no locust bean gum, no carrageenan, etc.

Nancy's, based in Eugene Oregon, is a brand that is very straightforward:
http://www.nancysyogurt.com/
I recommend it, if you can get it.

A major organic brand contains stabilizers, so i don't buy it -
Horizon Organic Dairy - based in Colorado - packaging features a
black-and-white cartoony cow. You're likely to find this where you
are in health food stores (here it's also in supermarkets), and i
find their products disappointing in flavor and texture.

Anahita